Re: octave on alpha?

From: heberf
Subject: Re: octave on alpha?
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 15:24:00 -0500 (CDT)

It used to be that gcc was the best compiler for Alpha but that's not true
anymore.  The compilers from Compaq are really incredible.  I think they are
downloadable for free for linux right now.  As far as Octave goes you won't be
able to use Compaq's C++ compiler (I don't think).  But you can use the Compaq
fortran 77 or fortran 90 compiler to compile the libraries and the compile the
rest with gcc.  My understanding is that there is a VERY significant
performance
improvement with the Compaq compilers compared to any other fortran compiler on
alpha (even quite expensive ones).

I should add two comments here.  (1) My information pertains mostly to Tru64
UNIX (previously DIGITAL UNIX, previously OSF, ...), (2) I'm not sure how much
of your performance issues come from the the fortran libraries versus the
interpretter so I can't tell you how much better you'll do by switching
compilers.

Heber Farnsworth