Re: octave on alpha?

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: Re: octave on alpha?
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 10:58:28 +0200 (CEST)

   I tried octave on my linux computer and compared it with matlab and
   there was nearly a times two difference in favour of Matlab.  I only
   use basic linear algebra : random numbers, vector and matrix
   operations element to element and 'normal' operations, lots of sums

Matlab  has traditionally been  faster than  octave in  the interpreter.
So, the more you manage to translate from loops to matrix operations the
more speed you will get.   Often the improvements are dramatic.  This is
also true of matlab.

--
Francesco Potortì (researcher)         Voice:    +39-050-593 203 (op. 211)
Computer Networks Group                Fax:      +39-050-904052