Re: octave on alpha?

From: Daniel Heiserer
Subject: Re: octave on alpha?
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 08:59:50 +0200

address@hidden wrote:

> It used to be that gcc was the best compiler for Alpha but that's not true
> anymore.  The compilers from Compaq are really incredible.  I think they are
> downloadable for free for linux right now.  As far as Octave goes you won't be
> able to use Compaq's C++ compiler (I don't think).  But you can use the Compaq
> fortran 77 or fortran 90 compiler to compile the libraries and the compile the
> rest with gcc.  My understanding is that there is a VERY significant
> performance
> improvement with the Compaq compilers compared to any other fortran compiler
> on
> alpha (even quite expensive ones).
>
> I should add two comments here.  (1) My information pertains mostly to Tru64
> UNIX (previously DIGITAL UNIX, previously OSF, ...), (2) I'm not sure how much
> of your performance issues come from the the fortran libraries versus the
> interpretter so I can't tell you how much better you'll do by switching
> compilers.

I had a discussion withe some compaq guys last week. I can comfirm
what you said. They said that they provide compilers for linux on alpha
which are incredible fast compared to egcs. They were talking about
factors.
If they are available for free I don't know. I am sure that the source
is
not available.

daniel