Re: operation x=x(:)

From: Jonathan King
Subject: Re: operation x=x(:)
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 15:20:38 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 5 May 1999, A. Scottedward Hodel wrote:

> [an orignal poster whose attribution was lost in editing wrote:
> >
> >I am testing the ability of octave to replace MatLab in my company.
> >One of the biggest drawbacks to use it is the missing x=x(:)
> >operation.

[snip]

> The behavior you've described would require editing the octave C++ source;
> John Eaton could address the "where" much better than I could.

Now, that would be a pretty "braindead" thing to do. :-)

But seriously, you can get this "traditional" Matlab feature and many
others by invoking Octave with either of these switches:

--traditional
--braindead

Although I find "--braindead" the more satisfying of the two.  So for
example:

address@hidden king]$ /usr/bin/octave --braindead
Octave, version 2.0.13 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu).
Copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 1998 John W. Eaton.
This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
For details, type `warranty'.

>> x=ones(2,3);
>> x(:)
ans =

  1
  1
  1
  1
  1
  1

>> exit
address@hidden king]$

(No...I haven't upgraded to 2.0.14 yet; my default Octave is 2.1.x)

jking