RE: Looking for a program

From: Stefano Ghirlanda
Subject: RE: Looking for a program
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 10:40:08 +0000 (/etc/localtime)

Hi Matthew,

> I lean against TCL, TK, JX, or others because their future desktop
> integration is questionable.
>
> Any thoughts?

When it comes to JX, the desktop integration is already there, I think, if
by "desktop integration" you mean "being able to interact with other stuff
on the desktop" and not "look like other stuff on the desktop". In fact,
both GTK+ and Qt use the XDND protocol for drag'n'drop and similar
operations, and this is the same protocol that JX uses; XDND has been in
fact developed by the author of JX, John Lindal, see:

http://www.its.caltech.edu/~jafl/xdnd

JX is also an "application building environment", not simply a graphical
toolkit, see http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~jafl/jx/features.html

Ok, I like JX, that's clear :)
All the best,
Stefano

 Stefano Ghirlanda, Zoologiska Institutionen, Stockholms Universitet
    Office: D554, Arrheniusv. 14, S-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46 8 164055, Fax: +46 8 167715, Email: address@hidden
   Support Free Science, look at: http://rerumnatura.zool.su.se