Re: running parallel make jobs and avoiding jumbled/garbled output?

From: Fabrice GIRARDOT
Subject: Re: running parallel make jobs and avoiding jumbled/garbled output?
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 10:00:34 +0100

Per Jessen a écrit :

Confirmed - sub-second timestamps in JFS are only supported as of kernel
2.6, and this system is still running 2.4.

For testing purposes, you might try to add so extra "touch $@"
as last command for your non-PHONY targets.

I'm using make in Win2k, all files beeing on a network drive.
There is *always* a little time gap between my computer
and the file server (despite every day synchronization).
With my projects (C language), when the linker has generated the
binary target, most of time, make thinks the target is not up
to date if I run it a second time (checked with the -d option).

I don't know if it applies to your commands, but in my case
the linker (running localy on my computer) generates a local file
on my hard drive, and then (on success) moves it to the target file
specified on its command line.
The way it's internaly implemented in the linker keeps the creation
date unchanged on the target file, so the final file on the server has
the time stamp of my local computer.
Adding a "touch $@" command fixes a lot this problem.

Hope it helps.

Regards,