Re: running parallel make jobs and avoiding jumbled/garbled output?

From: Per Jessen
Subject: Re: running parallel make jobs and avoiding jumbled/garbled output?
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 08:24:00 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Per Jessen <address@hidden>
>> Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 08:50:31 +0100
>> Y-Perjessen: Tue Mar  4 08:50:31 CET 2008
>>
>> Well, I've eliminated the userlist target and simply made 'all'
>> dependent on all of the 'TARGET.send' targets.  userlist was really
>> superfluous.
>>
>> Didn't solve the problem though - when run in parallel, a lot of the
>> jobs are still not run.
>
> Are you sure they are really not run?  That is, are they missing from
> the output of "make -d"?  If the jobs to rebuild them _are_ in the
> output of "make -d", perhaps something else is at work here?

No, I'm sure they're not run - the last two targets in the chain
(TARGET.email->TARGET.send) are usually not done.  The email-text isn't
generated, and the email isn't sent.  I'll double check for the rebuild
jobs, but I didn't think I saw them in the output.

> Btw, I'm still confused as to why "make -d" says that the target `all'
> (and therefore all the other ones) are considered several times (I
> counted 8).  I cannot spot anything in the Makefile which would cause
> that, but maybe I'm missing something Paul, can you suggest an
> explanation?

There has got to be something odd about that, yes.

/Per Jessen, Zürich