Re: running parallel make jobs and avoiding jumbled/garbled output?

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: running parallel make jobs and avoiding jumbled/garbled output?
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 13:00:51 -0500

On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 18:24 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
> Paul, how likely do you think it is that the problems I'm seeing are
> related to this timestamp issue?   Upgrading this server is going to
> take some time, but I could perhaps try to replicate the setup
> elsewhere.

Well, you said it seemed to be related to running via cron.  It seems
unlikely to me that if the same build with the same amount of
parallelism and the same command line running on the same server in the
same filesystem works properly when you invoke it by hand and breaks
when you run it from cron, that it is related to the filesystem
timestamp support.

Anyway, it should be pretty trivial to test.  One option is to go in and
add "sleep 1" into your makefile recipes.  Things will get a lot slower
BUT you can see whether it fixes the problem or not.

 Paul D. Smith <address@hidden>                 http://make.mad-scientist.us
 "Please remain calm--I may be mad, but I am a professional."--Mad Scientist