Re: Start Xorg server using xinit manually

From: Gary Johnson
Subject: Re: Start Xorg server using xinit manually
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2021 13:30:21 -0400

Bone Baboon <bone.baboon@disroot.org> writes:

> Here is my operating-system declaration:
>
> <snip>

I don't see anything out of the ordinary here. I don't use the nomodeset
kernel-arguments setting though. Perhaps that's just needed with your
hardware?

> .Xauthority is an empty file.
>
> .Xdefaults has the contents:
> ```
> XTerm*utf8: always
> XTerm*metaSendsEscape: true
>
> ```
> .exwm that contains my EXWM configuration.

Those all sound right to me. My .Xauthority contains a binary magic
cookie. You could delete the file and let X generate it next time it
starts up. Check your file permissions on all those files to make sure
you have read access to them.

> I do not know if the graphics card is supported by Guix?

To me, it sounds like this is still the most likely culprit. Perhaps
your graphics card just doesn't have corresponding drivers in the
linux-libre kernel.

For reference, here's my config.scm. It boots up directly into a
graphical login prompt, and upon logging in, it runs emacs-exwm as my
window manager. My exwm settings are in ~/.exwm, and my general emacs
settings are in ~/.emacs.d/init.el. My ~/.xsession file is a symlink to
my ~/.xinitrc file and ends with a call to exwm.

```
(use-modules ((guix gexp)               #:select (plain-file file-append))
             ((gnu system)              #:select (operating-system
%base-packages local-host-aliases))
             ((gnu system nss)          #:select (%mdns-host-lookup-nss))
             ((gnu system shadow)       #:select (user-account
%base-user-accounts))
             ((gnu system file-systems) #:select (file-system file-system-label
%base-file-systems))
             ((gnu bootloader)          #:select (bootloader-configuration))
             ((gnu bootloader grub)     #:select (grub-bootloader))
             ((gnu services)            #:select (extra-special-file service))
             ((gnu services databases)  #:select (postgresql-service-type
postgresql-configuration postgresql-config-file))
             ((gnu services desktop)    #:select (%desktop-services))
             ((gnu packages base)       #:select (coreutils))
             ((gnu packages certs)      #:select (nss-certs))
             ((gnu packages databases)  #:select (postgresql))
             ((gnu packages geo)        #:select (postgis)))

(operating-system
 (host-name "euclid")
 (timezone "America/New_York")
 (locale "en_US.utf8")

 (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
              (bootloader grub-bootloader)
              (target "/dev/sda")))

 (file-systems (cons* (file-system
                       (device (file-system-label "my-root"))
                       (mount-point "/")
                       (type "ext4"))
                      %base-file-systems))

 (swap-devices '("/swapfile"))

 (users (cons* (user-account
                (name "gjohnson")
                (comment "Just Another Lisp Hacker")
                (group "users")
                (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev" "audio" "video" "lp"))
                (home-directory "/home/gjohnson"))
               %base-user-accounts))

 (packages (cons* nss-certs          ; HTTPS access
                  postgresql postgis ; psql, raster2pgsql, shp2pgsql, etc.
                  %base-packages))

 ;; Use the "desktop" services, which include the X11
 ;; log-in service, networking with NetworkManager, and more.
 (services (cons* (extra-special-file "/usr/bin/env" (file-append coreutils
"/bin/env"))
                  (service postgresql-service-type (postgresql-configuration
                                                    (postgresql postgresql)
                                                    (extension-packages (list
postgis))
                                                    (config-file
(postgresql-config-file
                                                                  (hba-file
(plain-file "pg_hba.conf" "CONTENTS ELIDED"))
                                                                  (extra-config
'(("max_worker_processes" "12")

  ("max_parallel_workers" "40")

  ("max_parallel_maintenance_workers" "8")

  ("max_parallel_workers_per_gather" "4")

  ("parallel_leader_participation" "on")))))))
                  %desktop-services))

 ;; Allow resolution of '.local' host names with mDNS.
 (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss)

 (hosts-file (plain-file "hosts"
                         (string-append (local-host-aliases host-name)
                                        "CONTENTS ELIDED")))

 (sudoers-file (plain-file "sudoers" "CONTENTS ELIDED")))
```

I actually have emacs and emacs-exwm in my package-manifest.scm file,
which I use for installing all my user profile packages. However, adding
these to config.scm's packages list should be perfectly fine if you want
to keep everything in one place.

Best of luck,
  Gary

--
GPG Key ID: 7BC158ED
Use `gpg --search-keys lambdatronic' to find me

Why is HTML email a security nightmare? See https://useplaintext.email/

Please avoid sending me MS-Office attachments.