Re: Start Xorg server using xinit manually

From: Vladimir Sedach
Subject: Re: Start Xorg server using xinit manually
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2021 20:29:41 -0700

Bone Baboon <bone.baboon@disroot.org> writes:

> The command also fails with a similar log when prefixed with sudo.

Well, that rules out the setuid issue. Do you get graphics with a
login manager service? I tried getting xinit running as you have, but
gave up at the same step: no /dev/dri/card0 device node.

Looking at my configuration now, I think the problem might be dbus.
Do you have dbus-service enabled? I suspect there might be an
implicit dependence between X and udev (which is probably what is
responsible for creating /dev/dri/card0) on dbus, that might not be
producing any log messages.

The minimal X configuration I have is:
(dbus-service) (service slim-service-type)

…
> [    95.427] xf86EnableIOPorts: failed to set IOPL for I/O (Operation not
> permitted)

This part indicates that you might need to figure out the setuid
issue anyway (or run as root) if you make further progress. Debian
has a setuid wrapper executable (at /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg.wrap) that
could be a starting point. I think something like that might need to
go to xinit upstream. See https://issues.guix.gnu.org/25865

If dbus-service does indeed get you farther along, can you please
report that back to the list? In that case, it would seem that
dbus-service is a necessary dependency for running X and should
become part of the provided login manager services.

--
Vladimir Sedach
Software engineering services in Los Angeles https://oneofus.la