Re: Start Xorg server using xinit manually

From: Sergiu Ivanov
Subject: Re: Start Xorg server using xinit manually
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 09:02:00 +0100

Thus quoth  Bone Baboon  on Tue Mar 23 2021 at 04:22 (+0100):
> Gary Johnson writes:
>
>>   I run EXWM under Guix System.
>
> It is good to hear that someone else is able to successfully use EXWM
> with Guix.

I also started using EXWM recently and it works without any issues
for me (actually it works better than I expected).

However, I use the default login manager (elogind) from
%desktop-services, which picks up EXWM automatically for me.  I don't
manually start the X server, which is why I didn't previously chime in.

FWIW, here's the relevant snippet from my /etc/config.scm:

(packages (append
           (map specification->package
                '("emacs"
                  "emacs-exwm"
                  "emacs-desktop-environment"
                  "nss-certs"))
           %base-packages))
(services (append
           (list (service xfce-desktop-service-type)
                 (set-xorg-configuration
                  (xorg-configuration (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout))))
           %desktop-services))

You'll notice that I also install XFCE alongside EXWM, just in case (and
because I used it before I started configuring EXWM).

-
Sergiu