Re: Start Xorg server using xinit manually

From: Bone Baboon
Subject: Re: Start Xorg server using xinit manually
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2021 19:58:47 -0400

Thanks for your reply.

jbranso@dismail.de writes:

> March 21, 2021 6:31 PM, "Bone Baboon" <bone.baboon@disroot.org> wrote:
>
> May I ask why you are trying to manually run xinit?  Is your favorite wm
> or desktop environment not packaged as a service in Guix?  Ahh, I see you
> are just trying to start Emacs.  Very awesome!

I am trying to manually run `xinit` so that I can use Emacs X Window
Manager (EXWM).  I have EXWM configured in my Emacs configuration file.
I have a small number of important graphical applications I want to run
in EXWM (web browser, Jami, qTox, ...).

> If all you are wanting is to use Emacs, you could always just launch Emace
> from the virtual console, and not have mouse support.

If I run `emacs` from a virtual terminal in the *Messages* buffer it
says "[EXWM] Not running under X environment".

I am currently working without `xorg` in virtual terminals or in Emacs
with `emacsclient --tty`.  I am really appreciating `eww` as a browser
that is in Emacs.