Re: Breaking out of menu on "live disk", repairing grub

From: Simon Hobson
Subject: Re: Breaking out of menu on "live disk", repairing grub
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 14:33:52 +0000

OK, got my system running, but ...

I could not get a working boot by chroot, update-grub, and update-initramfs.
All my attempts left me with "couldn't mount root, dropping to shell".
Basically, soft raid wasn't getting started, so the roof filesystem wasn't
available. I hadn't tried it before, but starting raid and then hitting ctrl-D
to exit the shell resuted in the system completing it's boot.
After booting this way, updating the grub config and initramfs gave me a
working setup - I'm thinking it was more likely a problem with the initramfs
than Grub.

So something else new I've learned :)

But this does come back to the comment earlier about stuff getting more
complicated. It's not that long ago that having your root filesystem on raid,
or even LVM was either difficult or impossible. But people want facilities like
this - so the software has to be able to cope. Grub needs to understand them so
it can pass the right options, and the initramfs tools need to be able to build
in the right modules etc.