Re: Breaking out of menu on "live disk", repairing grub

From: Simon Hobson
Subject: Re: Breaking out of menu on "live disk", repairing grub
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 19:10:23 +0000

Jordan Uggla wrote:

>There is no need to chroot to run grub-install in grub2 either. Also,
>what $SUBJECT are you referring to? The OP's original message was
>"back in Grub 1 days, I could remember how to install grub just by
>mounting the filesystem, chrooting to it, and issuing a few grub
>commands", so they were already chrooting when they were installing
>grub legacy, according to their message.

Sorry, typing in a rush, that was a mistake on my part. I wouldn't have been
chrooting, just mounting the filesystems and running grub by hand. The use
case, which perhaps wasn't too clear, was that of either rebuilding a machine
from backup after a disk failure, or moving a system to a new disk. I'd
partition the disk, make filesystems, copy the files across (which would
naturally include anything customised by "the full install"), and so all I
needed to do was get the 1st stage loader installed. As long as I remembered
the 3 commands in grub, and to make the boot partition bootable, then it was
fairly easy - I've aways struggled since upgrading to grub 1.99 (I guess Debian
will catch up eventually).

While it's down to my not knowing enough in depth, I've had a frustrating day -
got to the stage of having re-created the boot volume that I'd managed to
corrupt (which is on a mirrored soft raid volume), chrooted, got the mdadm
config corrected for the new UUID, been able to install grub and build a new
initrd - but "took a break" still at the stage of "couldn't mount root
filesystem".