Re: Breaking out of menu on "live disk", repairing grub

From: Simon Hobson
Subject: Re: Breaking out of menu on "live disk", repairing grub
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 12:54:51 +0000

Felix Miata wrote:

>>> Lots more to remember than what I do with Grub Legacy:
>
>> The only thing to remember is grub-install. Everything else is
>> standard "create proper chroot environment" which is not related to
>> what you are going to do in chroot.
>
>> What exactly is the point of your comment?
>
>Lots less to remember with Grub Legacy, as there is no need to chroot to set
>it up, plus there is the context of $SUBJECT.

It comes down to (IMO) the way Grub is evolving. On the one hand, the cast
majority of users "just want something that boots their kernel", while others
want something with all sorts of new features. With Grub 1, the feature set was
more or less baked in, and all that's needed is to copy certain files to
certain places - hence being able to install the boot sectors with about 3
lines of Grub commands and no need for creating a chroot envoironment. That's
no longer the case with Grub 2 - it needs to know much more about the
environment, and that needs all the stuff mentioned in order for it to work.

Hard to say which (if either) is wrong. Both arguments have their merits, and
if you need one of the enhanced features then that swings it for you. It just
makes it "a bit harder" for those who do these things once in a blue moon and
so can't easily remember the magic incantations.