Re: Is there a way to avoid clobbering minibuffer by messages?

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Is there a way to avoid clobbering minibuffer by messages?
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 09:52:26 +0000

I use ivy and tramp, and I often notice that tramp messages are output to minibuffer while I'm in the process of connecting to the host, which breaks formatting of the minibuffer. I also noticed messages messing up minibuffer contents on many other occasions.

Is there a way to put messages somewhere else? Or maybe the other way around - keep messages in minibuffer, but use ivy in some other minibuffer?

You can display these messages whereever you want by defining your own variant of set-minibuffer-message and doing (setq set-message-function 'my-set-minibuffer-message).