Re: PAM Authentication Patch

From: Mark D. Baushke
Subject: Re: PAM Authentication Patch
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 10:05:32 -0700

Pankaj K Garg <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm attaching a patch for enabling PAM
> authentication support.
>
> To keep the patch file small, I've not included
> the diffs to the files 'configure' and
> 'gnats/configure'. Use autoconf to generate
> these two files. If you need the generated
> files, let me know and I'll create another
> patch.
>
> PAM support can now be enabled by using
> '--enable-pam' switch to configure.
>
> With PAM support enabled, you can put an entry
> in the gantsd.user_access file as:
>
>    <user>:$p$:<access-level>
>
> and the authentication for the user will be done
> against the configured PAM modules.
>
> The name of the PAM service is taken from the
> DEFAULT_GANTS_SERVICE define, so by default it
> should be 'support'. Hence, you can configure
> PAM by creating the file /etc/pam.d/support on
> RH Linux.
>
> I've tried to make appropriate changes to the
> documentation. Let me know if any other document
> requires update.
>
> I've done some preliminary testing on my RH 9.0
> Linux. Please let me know if there's any problem
> with it.
>
> Pankaj

The biggest problem I have with PAM support for
gnatsd is that you will now be sending a
credential across the network in the clear which
is presumably able to be used as a credential
outside of gnats. This could lead to a simple
password replay attack to gain access to systems
by unauthorized individuals or their agents.

I strongly urge you to first include and enable
SSL (or TLS) support in gantsd before you allow
PAM to be used to authorize connections.

        -- Mark