Re: Plan to move to savannah

From: Hugo Gayosso
Subject: Re: Plan to move to savannah
Date: 01 Nov 2001 09:47:24 -0500

[ Added jbailey and my GNU account to the discussion.  Jeff, if you
  want to be removed from this discussion, let me know and excuse me
  for adding you before asking --Hugo ]

Milan Zamazal <address@hidden> writes:

> I plan to move the GNATS' development infrastructure to
> savannah.gnu.org.  There is nothing wrong with current Red Hat services,
> but I like the idea of a centralized GNU software site.  Also, using
> savannah may be a bit more handy (and savannah hackers fearlessly run
> GNATS 4 there:-).

It is not a recent GNATS 4 snapshot (but is GNATS 4 baseline), I can't
get the details of it now (fascist firewall), so if they are important
let me know and I will get them for you.  (jbailey and myself did that
installation).

> The services to be moved are:
>
> 1. CVS repository.

No big deal, just make a tarball and put it somewhere, send the URL to
address@hidden

> 2. Bug tracking system.

I guess this means that we need to move a GNATS database.

While the current GNATS installation @ gnu.org is using only one
database, I did some tests using multiple databases and it seems that
it is working.

Our plan, is/was to have one GNATS database per project, so maybe this
change will be as easy as defining the new database @ GNU (plus the
email alias) and then making a tarball of the current database @ Red
Hat.

Or is it more complex?

> Of course, no data should be lost during the move, especially all CVS
> data, complete bug history, and mailing list archives should be
> transfered to the new site.
>
> More details about the particular steps:
>
> 1. Moving the CVS archive should be the simplest thing of the all, it
>    only concerns a very limited set of people.  Gnatsweb will be removed
>    from the contrib directory, since it has now its own archive on
>    savannah.  I'm not sure what to do with TkGnats -- Rick, what are
>    your plans about it?  Should it simply remain in the CVS as it is?

Rick, if you want to make TkGnats a separate project in Savannah, as
gnatsweb is, just register this project at http://savannah.gnu.org

> 4. Mailing lists.

GNU is currently using Mailman for mailing list management.

>    i.e. with automatic resubscription

Mailman has an option for mass subscription, so if you can get a text
file of the email addresses currently subscribed this will be easy.

>    and a temporary forwarding on redhat, if possible.

We need somebody from redhat to help here.

>    One particular change I'd like to make is to rename the
>    gnats-devel mailing list to `gnats' or something like that.

There are some GNU standards regarding mailing list naming:

bug-gnats : To report bugs (really? :-) )

help-gnats : Users asking for help (really? :-P )

info-gnats : Announcements and progress reports

Take a look at:

Those are the minimum, I guess we might want to create:

gnats-devel : for development discussions.

> So this is the rough plan.  Please tell me if you have any objections,
> advice or so.  I don't plan to perform the move tomorrow but I also
> don't want to wait with it much.  Unless I receive strong objections
> during the following week, I'll start to talk to both savannah hackers
> and Red Hat's overseers about technical details of the move.

Let me know how can I help, I qualify as a "savannah-hacker".  :-)

Greetings,
- --
Hugo Gayosso