Re: "Exotic" GNATS 4 fields

From: Rick Macdonald
Subject: Re: "Exotic" GNATS 4 fields
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 14:56:33 -0600 (MDT)

On 14 Oct 2001, Milan Zamazal wrote:

>     RM> I can see having some default configs to choose from:
>     RM> - one that matches gnats 3 exactly
>     RM> - one that matches gnats 3 with-release-base exactly
>
> I don't understand this one.

I was just thinking about people converting from GNATS 3. They would have
with or without -release-based. The diference is the 3 extra fields
-with-release-based. This was just suggesting to have a conversion
template for both cases. Or, perhaps there's some other conversion or
upgrade method already?

>     RM> - some new v4 config that is the one we're talking about now
>
>     RM> Plus, perhaps a library of snippits of neat field definitions
>     RM> that can be copy/pasted into the default as desired.
>
> I think having several versions of pre-configured dbconfigs plus a very
> big dbconfig or library is a good idea.  Anyone volunteers?
>
>     RM> How about a Tk configuration tool that presents a list of all
>     RM> definintions in the "library" with descriptions. You just go up
>     RM> and down the list and click check boxes on and off for what you
>     RM> want (much like the Linux kernel "make xconfig"). In this case,
>     RM> the "default" config is the set of definitions that have
>     RM> checkboxes pre-set in the config tool.
>
> Well, again a nice idea waiting for its volunteer to bring it to life.
> But if we are going to write new GNATS utilities, they should be Guile
> based rather than Tk based.
>
> Regards,
>
> Milan Zamazal
>
> --
> Why waste keystrokes when you can waste CPU cycles instead?
>                                               Karl Fogel

...RickM...