Re: [help-GIFT] struggling with running GIFT...

From: Niles Johnson
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] struggling with running GIFT...
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:22:49 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Neville,

I haven't re-checked all the attachments you sent, but as far as I remember, the output has included complaints about the collection ID number each time . . .

In your 'gift-config.mrml', note the line beginning with:

<collection collection-id="c-38-27-1-27-6-108-0-208-0" collection-name="imgs"..

I have a collection with collection-name="Full-Image-Collection" and collection-id="c-01"; in my 'gift-config.mrml', and the algorithms reference this collection ID. This is probably why, in the output you sent, you see the error about collection c-01 not being described in your config file.

So I'd suggest you update your 'gift-config.mrml' in two ways:

First, Henning explained to me that the "Classical IDF" algorithm does not perform as well as the "Separate Normalisation" algorithm, and his 'gift-config.mrml' does not include either the "PERL link" or the "Classical IDF" algorithms. Following his recommendation, I deleted both of these from my 'gift-config.mrml' and am having better performance from the GIFT--I'd encourage you to do the same :)

To do this, just delete everything between <algorithm ... > and </algorithm>. Be warned that XML doesn't parse nested comments like you might expect, so even though I commented out the "PERL link" algorithm by adding '<!--' at the beginning, and '-->' at the end, this won't work for the "Classical IDF" algorithm, since there are comments within the algorithm block.

Second, check the line beginning with:

<algorithm algorithm-id="adefault" algorithm-type="adefault"
algorithm-name="Separate Normalisation" collection-id=

to be sure that the collection-id matches the one listed in your collection reference. The GIFT generates a collection ID number every time it indexes a new collection, but as far as I can tell, you don't have to use the number it generates.

I can't remember if you need to update the collection ID in any of the other GIFT files, but maybe you can just try it with these changes and see how it works? Hopefully the new output can help us identify any other problems . . .

best,
Niles

p.s. I think it's close to working for you, so hang in there! If you still have trouble, you might also check to see that your GIFT client is referencing the correct collection ID's, while we're at it.