[help-GIFT] Re: Mac OS X installation

From: Niles Johnson
Subject: [help-GIFT] Re: Mac OS X installation
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 10:35:51 -0500

Hello all,

I'm happy to say that the gift server seems to be working properly
now.  I tested a collection of just 3 images to see if I could
properly index the collection and start the gift server.  That seems
to run without error, although I haven't yet figured out how to get a
*client* to work.

While I'm waiting for a larger collection of images to be indexed, I
thought I would write my installation story, since it wasn't as simple
as following the suggestions of the previous e-mails in this thread
(although they were MUCH appreciated!).  I tried a variety of
different things, over several days, and unfortunately now I'm not
sure exactly why my installation worked :(  Hopefully this description
will still be useful to someone--I'm sorry it's so long, but I don't
understand it well enough to make it shorter :(

best,
Niles

1. I tried Wolfgang's suggestion of removing CDomainSocket from the
appropriate Makefile.am.  I'm not quite sure which one was the
"appropriate" one, but my first few guesses still produced errors
while compiling, so I decided to move on to Thomas's suggestion.

2. Since I had already removed malloc.h and values.h includes, I just added the
"#ifndef __APPLE__" and
"#endif"
around the offending block of code in GIFTServer/CDomainSocket.cc
This allowed me to make and install, but I had problems when I tried
to run "gift-add-collection.pl"

3. The problems I had with adding a collection were locale issues.  I
saw in a previous post that one mac user was able to run things
correctly by commenting out lines 705 and 713:
#    open LOCALELIST, "locale -m |" or die "$!";
#    open LOCALELIST, "locale LC_MONETARY |" or die "$!";
I tried this but still had a few problems

4. gift-add-collection.pl still complained because it had tried to
create its configuration file "gift-config.mrml", but because of the
previous errors, that file was not in the expected format.  When
gift-add-collection.pl tried to backup this old file, it died because
it could not understand the file.  I tried deleting the file, but
still the script died.  Somewhere I found a sample copy of the config
file and copied that to my home directory.  Then finally
gift-add-collection.pl proceeded through the indexing process without
error!

5. Now I was ready to start gift!  Much to my dismay, it would not
start up, exiting with a bus error.  The output just before exiting
was

Could not link to symbol libGIFTAcPerl_getClassName:dlcompat: Symbol
"_libGIFTAcPerl_getClassName" not found
libGIFTAcPerl.0.0.0.dylib tested. Test FAILED.
Could not link to symbol libGIFTAcPerl_getClassName:dlcompat: Symbol
"_libGIFTAcPerl_getClassName" not found
libGIFTAcPerl.0.dylib tested. Test FAILED.
Could not link to symbol libGIFTAcPerl_getClassName:dlcompat: Symbol
"_libGIFTAcPerl_getClassName" not found
libGIFTAcPerl.a tested. Test FAILED.
Bus error

This lead me to think there was some problem with gift's interaction with perl.

6. I checked the ./configure output and noticed that the check for
whether gift could embed perl failed with an error about the "my_perl"
being undeclared (line 71 of "perl-compile-test-program.cc").

7. After some Google searching, I decided to try including XSUB.h to
"perl-compile-test-program.cc".  I had another error of the same sort,
so I also included XSUB.h in "libMRML/cc/CDynamicQueryFactory.cc".
Now when I ran ./configure, the test for embedding perl gave a warning
about an invalid conversion from one type to another, but succeeded.

8.  Unfortunately, during the make process then, I had a scary
sounding error about overriding something.  I don't remember this
exactly either (sorry), but I do know that it seemed similar to the
error mentioned in this thread:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gift/2006-08/msg00045.html

((Somehow I also decided to include <bits/wordsize.h> in
"libMRML/cc/CAttributeList.cc"--I don't remember exactly where in the
process this was, but somewhere around this time))

9. The thread mentioned in #8 said that the CVS version of gift
(0.1.15b?) had fixed a lot of bugs with perl embedding, so I decided
to give that a try.  Unfortunately I kept getting errors related to
missing library files, having to do with libGIFTQuInvertedFile,
libGIFTAcInvertedFile, and libGIFTAcURL2FTS.  I never could figure out
whether it was a .la file or a .dylib file that was missing, or how to
fix it.

10.  I decided the CVS code and the perl embedding weren't for me, but
I had read this thread in the meantime.  It suggested adding "LIBS =
-ldl" to "GIFTServer/Makefile.am", which I did:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gift/2002-01/msg00018.html

11.  I tried goofing around again with the embedded perl (even though
I had resolved to give up on it), but after a while I removed the
XSUB.h inclusions I had made in #7.

((also at some stage I switched from just "./configure" to
"./configure --prefix=/Users/peachick/GIFT"))

12.  Then finally the "make" and "make install" ran successfully.  I
had also deleted 3 gift-* files from my home directory, and when I ran
the modified gift-add-collection.pl, it indexed successfully.

13.  I then executed the newly installed gift and now the output ends with:
TCP socket successfully initialized:8
TCP socket successfully initialized:9
Waiting for connection...

14. Hooray!!

P.S. The indexing has finished again, and I started gift successfully
again; still no luck with the client (I'm trying the one from
gift.monosock.org; I've had to fiddle with it a little already, but
it's not showing any pictures so I'll have to look a little closer).