[help-GIFT] Re: Mac OS X installation

From: Niles Johnson
Subject: [help-GIFT] Re: Mac OS X installation
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 08:21:50 -0500

I see now that this question has come up before; this thread discusses
similar problems installing under Mac OS 10.4.7:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gift/2006-09/msg00002.html

I found that the "incomplete type" error can be (temporarily?)
resolved by including files containing the relevant typedef's:

CTCPSocket.h:66: error: field `mSocketAddress' has incomplete type

is resolved by adding "#include <netinet/in.h>" to CTCPSocket.h

My next error was similar (but slightly different) to the one
discussed in the thread above:

CDomainSocket.cc: In member function `virtual bool
  CDomainSocket::acceptAndServe()':
CDomainSocket.cc:93: warning: invalid conversion from `unsigned int*' to `
  socklen_t*'
CDomainSocket.cc:98: error: aggregate `ucred lCredentials' has incomplete type
  and cannot be defined
CDomainSocket.cc:102: error: `SO_PEERCRED' undeclared (first use this function)
CDomainSocket.cc:102: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
  for each function it appears in.)

I again solved the "incomplete type" issue by including <sys/ucred.h>,
but this led to new errors:

CDomainSocket.cc:105: error: `SO_PEERCRED' undeclared (first use this function)
CDomainSocket.cc:105: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
  for each function it appears in.)
CDomainSocket.cc:111: error: 'struct ucred' has no member named 'pid'
CDomainSocket.cc:112: error: 'struct ucred' has no member named 'uid'
CDomainSocket.cc:113: error: 'struct ucred' has no member named 'gid'

Looking at my ucred.h file, I see members of ucred called cr_uid and
cr_gid, so I tried changing the offending lines of CDomainSocket.cc,
replacing pid, uid, and gid with cr_pid, cr_uid, and cr_gid.  This
(perhaps?) resolves part, but not all of the error.  The next is:

CDomainSocket.cc:106: error: `SO_PEERCRED' undeclared (first use this function)
CDomainSocket.cc:106: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
  for each function it appears in.)
CDomainSocket.cc:112: error: 'struct ucred' has no member named 'cr_pid'

And this is the stage at which I begin to lose hope again . . . The
thread above mentions a patch for Mac--is this available? (and if so,
is it specific to 10.4, or will it work with 10.3?)  There is a hint
that perhaps only one version of the GIFT compiles for Mac (if one has
the mystery patch)--is this true?  I'm attempting to compile gift
0.1.14.

thanks,
Niles