Re: [help-GIFT] 'Re: Ups.

From: David Squire
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] 'Re: Ups.
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 16:45:31 +0100

Wolfgang Müller wrote:

[snip]
It is the GIFT feature extraction that *requires* the rescaling to 256x256.

Yes, I remember the discussion. Many things the GIFT does are due to decisions that seemed reasonable at the time.
Well, the original source of this decision was that the first image collection we used it on was one from Television Suisse Romande, in which all the images were 256x256. Rescaling to this was a hack to allow other images to be indexed with minimal changes to the code.
Makes me think of this article you quoted at the time that was about the lifetime of engineering decisions.

Are you thinking of the one ultimately linking the diameter of the Space Shuttle's booster rockets to the width of a horse :)

BTW, I do think that not rescaling will cause serious problems, since the feature extraction code is premised on 16x16 blocks at the lowest level, and using images of different sizes will result in the same block feature ID being used to refer to different image locations for different images. IDs are assigned simply by counting.

Regards,

David