Re: [help-GIFT] 'Re: Ups.

From: David Squire
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] 'Re: Ups.
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 18:15:01 +0100

Wolfgang Müller wrote:

i packaged it as a fork for a reason. i had to change generally EVERYTHING
about the coding style, to get gcc to auto-vectorize. there are (almost) no
global variables anymore, the gabor filters are in one array, not four.. it
is truely unholy what i've done to your poor program.
but, it works. ;)

I would suggest that you and David fix a close deadline for David to look at it more closely. He knows the code best. I have barely touched it since it came out. David, if you do not feel you have the time to commit, please tell us.

I should be able to look at it some time in the next week. I have a more pressing deadline with coding I am doing for Damocles (which has "real users") that I need to focus on first. I'm afraid that I can't be more precise than that.

You know, I am amazed that that feature extraction code has survived as long as it has. It was only ever done really as a very quick and dirty proof of concept for the SCIA'99 paper :) I guess it was "good enough", so it lasted.

I agree that I would prefer to see ImageMagick retained, though perhaps by linking to their libraries rather than making system calls.

Cheers,

David

--
Dr David McG. Squire,  Senior Lecturer, on sabbatical in 2006
Caulfield School of Information Technology, Monash University, Australia