guix-devel

Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home

From: Liliana Marie Prikler
Subject: Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 20:24:03 +0200

Am Donnerstag, dem 05.05.2022 um 19:29 +0200 schrieb Maxime Devos:
> Liliana Marie Prikler schreef op do 05-05-2022 om 19:19 [+0200]:
> > My assumption here is that the split profiles are still "complete",
> > hence thematic profiles.  A thematic profile could for instance
> > consist of all your emacs packages, in which case only emacs
> > packages are added into the union-build and only EMACSLOADPATH
> > needs to be considered.  Another thematic profile could consist of
> > all the guile packages you need always, e.g. guile-readline and
> > guile-colorized, though both are [...]
>
> This doesn't work for SSL_CERT_DIR/SSL_CERT_FILE
nss-certs can be installed to their own profile and referenced from
there, but are typically part of the OS config.  No glaring issue here.

> GUIX_LOCALEPATH
Does this affect applications other than Guix itself?

> PYTHON_TZPATH
Don't know anything about this one tbh.

> Also, this seems like a limitation that the user needs to be aware
> of (and hence documented).  Why give the user something buggy and
> inform the user that its buggy, when it can be made non-buggy?
Why do we have a section "Application Setup" in our manual?  Shouldn't
we make it so that no application requires setup?

The variables you quoted above are an exception rather than a rule.
Though to be fair, I disagree with said variables not only for this
reason, but also because they break similar setups with `guix shell'.
Again, the long-term goal is to eliminate such bugs and we can do that
by making those PATH variables support multiple directories.

Cheers