guix-devel

Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home

From: Liliana Marie Prikler
Subject: Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 18:22:04 +0200

Am Donnerstag, dem 05.05.2022 um 13:05 +0200 schrieb Maxime Devos:
> Liliana Marie Prikler schreef op zo 03-10-2021 om 12:50 [+0200]:
> > On init/reconfigure, `guix home' creates/updates all home-profiles
> > which have a home-profile-manifest that is not #f and links them to
> > the appropriate locations.  It also creates a shell startup script
> > that loads those profiles that are enabled?, even if they have no
> > manifest (this can be used to e.g. declare a pull profile, which
> > `guix home' can't manage).
>
> I assume there will be some mechanism to load disabled profiles
> (otherwise the disabled profiles seem a bit pointless to me, why not
> remove them with #; and avoid some build time)?
This mechanism already exists, it's source
/path/to/profile/etc/profile.sh.  "enabled?" here really means "sourced
on startup", i.e. "enabled by default" when you launch a shell.
Admittedly, having a disabled profile is not that useful in the context
of guix shell existing, but there might still be some legitimate uses.
For instance, on certain foreign distros in which XDG_DATA_DIRS is
fragile and precious, you might put graphical applications into an
extra profile that you source late.  Or for debugging purposes, you
could set aside a profile that contains just coreutils and less, so
that from /tmp/guix-build-... you can source that rather than a full-
blown profile (after evaluating environment-variables, you won't have
access to guix!)

Cheers