guix-devel

Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 19:29:15 +0200

Liliana Marie Prikler schreef op do 05-05-2022 om 19:19 [+0200]:
> My assumption here is that the split profiles are still "complete",
> hence thematic profiles.  A thematic profile could for instance consist
> of all your emacs packages, in which case only emacs packages are added
> into the union-build and only EMACSLOADPATH needs to be considered.
> Another thematic profile could consist of all the guile packages you
> need always, e.g. guile-readline and guile-colorized, though both are
> [...]

This doesn't work for
SSL_CERT_DIR/SSL_CERT_FILE/GUIX_LOCALEPATH/PYTHON_TZPATH if the user
has a thematic ‘data’ profile containing certificates, timezones and
locales.

Also, this seems like a limitation that the user needs to be aware
of (and hence documented).  Why give the user something buggy and
inform the user that its buggy, when it can be made non-buggy?

Greetings,
Maxime.