guix-devel

Re: Criticisms of my "tone" (was Re: A "cosmetic changes" commit that re

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Criticisms of my "tone" (was Re: A "cosmetic changes" commit that removes security fixes)
Date: Mon, 03 May 2021 13:00:22 -0400

Hi Leo,

Leo Prikler <leo.prikler@student.tugraz.at> writes:

> Am Montag, den 03.05.2021, 05:00 -0400 schrieb Mark H Weaver:

>> > In your very first message you made it seems as though Raghav
>> > single-handedly authored and pushed the changes in question and
>> > called into question their reliability as a committer.  The former
>> > was based on "facts", that turned out half-true – Raghav did push
>> > that commit, but they did so thinking that Léo did proper review,
>> > which they did not –
>>
>> Here, once again, you've failed to point out any of my *actual* words
>> to back up your (bogus) claim that I "fumbled on the
>> facts".  Instead, you speak of how I "made it seem".  You put more
>> words into my mouth.

> If you want to read your actual words, they were

>> Behold, Raghav's "cosmetic changes" to our 'cairo' package

I don't know how the genitive case is used in German, but in English, it
can mean a great many things, from possession (Mark's bicycle) to mere
association (Mark's community of friends) and many other things.  It
certainly does *not* imply single-handed authorship as you suggest
above.

I'll grant that you are correct in your speculation that at the time I
wrote the words above, in my *mind* I more-or-less assumed that Raghav
had authored the commit.  After all, Raghav digitally signed and pushed
the commit, whose metadata indicated that he was the sole author.

However, I never *wrote* anything that implied he was the sole author.
Therefore, I still maintain that in my actual communications, I didn't
"fumble on the facts" *at all*.

I'm going to _try_ to refrain from responding again, because in order
for this exchange to be finite, *one* of us must eventually let the
other one have the final word.

       Regards,
         Mark

--
Disinformation flourishes because many people care deeply about injustice
but very few check the facts.  Ask me about <https://stallmansupport.org>.