Re: doc license section

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: doc license section
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 00:18:34 +0100

Pierre Bernatchez <address@hidden> writes:

> 'upper management' deciding for the underlings
> is the evil empire way of doing things.  If GNU
> had fallen into 'upper management' oriented
> methods, it would be a sign that GNU lost
> sight of the objective and were morphing into
> what they most oppose.

I think your fears are unfounded.  I did think for myself and came to
the conclusion that this issue is not one that can be decided locally
for the Guile project.  The issue is not whether Guile should use the
GNU FDL or not, the issue is whether the GNU FDL is a viable license
in general.  The FSF says yes, Debian says there are problems to
solve.  Since Guile is an FSF project, I go with what they say.

I do wish that the FSF would publically comment on the concerns of the
Debian people.  Maybe they did, but I haven't found it yet.

If nothing else, more projects adopting the GNU FDL will increase the
pressure to resolve the problems that Debian has raised.