doc license section

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: doc license section
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:30:06 +1000

I wonder if the guile license section in the manual could say a little
more about the terms guile is published on.  For a start I think it
ought to mention the readline module is gpl rather than lgpl.

I'm thinking of something like below.  Perhaps with a few more words
about what free software means, and/or about source code availablity.
The one-liners about what the terms mean in practice to applications
might want to be run past an expert, perhaps even rms.

Might be worth thinking about GFDL for the manuals, while on the
subject of licenses.

The Guile License
*****************

Guile is Free Software.  Guile is copyrighted, not public domain, and
there are restrictions on its distribution or redistribution, but these
restrictions are designed to permit everything a cooperating person
would want to do.

   * The Guile library (libguile) and supporting files are published
     under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License version
     2.1.  See the file `COPYING.LIB'.

   * The Guile readline module is published under the terms of the GNU
     General Public License version 2.  See the file `COPYING'.

   * The manual you're now reading is published under terms described at
     the start of the document (*note Top::).

   Basically you can give or sell copies of Guile to anyone, with or
without modifications, but you may not deprive others of these same
rights, and must clearly identify any modifications.

   C code linking to the Guile library is subject to terms of that
library.  Basically such code may be published on any terms, provided
users can re-link against a new or modified version of Guile.

   C code linking to the Guile readline module is subject to the terms
of that module.  Basically such code must be published on Free terms.

   Scheme level code written to be run by Guile (but not derived from
the Guile sources) is not resticted in any way, and may be published on
any terms.  We encourage authors to publish on Free terms.

   You must be aware there is no warranty whatsoever for Guile.  This is
described in full in the license terms.