Re: JACAL, scm

From: Bill Gribble
Subject: Re: JACAL, scm
Date: 25 Sep 2001 07:12:01 -0500

On Tue, 2001-09-25 at 05:08, Tom Lord wrote:
> Moreover, Guile diverges from R5RS in other ways.  It has already been
> decided that strict compatibility is not a goal.  Why should this case
> be any different?

OK, I'll give you a reason: I don't like it.  I'm a Guile user, and I
think an equivalence between #f and '() is just braindamage.  It's
confusing and not useful. Depending on the equivalence is just
programmer laziness.

Despite your implication, Guile *is* Scheme.  The Emacs Lisp ship sailed
about 5 years ago IIRC. The elisp community doesn't want Guile and the
political battle to force it down their throats is lost.  Striving for
compatibility at this point is just wasted effort.

Guile is an embeddable Scheme with a good C API.  Let's just try to make
it the best it can be at that and focus on the needs of Guile's users
rather than trying to dress Guile up to sell to people who aren't in the
market to buy.

Bill Gribble