Re: JACAL, scm

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: JACAL, scm
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 13:19:26 -0700 (PDT)

       OK, I'll give you a reason: I don't like it.  I'm a Guile user, and I
       think an equivalence between #f and '() is just braindamage.  It's
       confusing and not useful. Depending on the equivalence is just
       programmer laziness.

It is useful, particularly within the larger family of GNU software.

Although you may be confused by it, there is a long history of Scheme
users before you who do not share your confusion.

Since you are prepared not to depend on () and #f being equivalent in
your programs, are you also prepared not to depend on them being the
same?  If so, reverting this change should not effect you.

      Guile is an embeddable Scheme with a good C API.  Let's just try
      to make it the best it can be at that and focus on the needs of
      Guile's users rather than trying to dress Guile up to sell to
      people who aren't in the market to buy.

Guile is the GNU extension language.  Are you opposed to making GNU
a coherent design?

Input from users is important, but it is foolish to say that users
should design the software.

       The Emacs Lisp ship sailed about 5 years ago IIRC. The elisp community
       doesn't want Guile and the political battle to force it down their
       throats is lost.

What are you talking about?  What "political battle"?  What is "the
elisp community"?  What does any of this have to do with the reasons
I've provided for why () and #f should be the same in Guile?

-t