Re: Possible typo in doc/Makefile.am

From: Matthias Koeppe
Subject: Re: Possible typo in doc/Makefile.am
Date: 25 Jun 2001 14:12:22 +0200

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> > Neil> Are there any other names similar to `stamp-vti' and
> > Neil> `stamp-vti1' in the generated Makefile.in?  (These file names
> > Neil> aren't documented at all in the manual.)
> >
> > You aren't supposed to use them.
> > What is it that you're trying to do?
>
> The rules have been added to cause "varion.texi" to be generated even
> when guile-core is configured without `--enable-maintainer-mode'.  I
> don't remember why that was thought to be a good thing.  Maybe because
> people got their daily dose from anonymous CVS, but a freshly checked
> out guile-core wouldn't build when not configured with
> `--enable-maintainer-mode'.  It would build with that kluge.  Or
> something like that.
>
> If we have problems because of these rules, we should remove them and
> tell people to configure CVS checkouts with
> `--enable-maintainer-mode'.

At least I have problems because of these rules because I am forced to
use CVS automake, rather than stable automake.  In any case I think it
is wise not to use undocumented features of specific automake
versions.  So I'd suggest you go ahead and remove this kludge.

--
Matthias Köppe -- http://www.math.uni-magdeburg.de/~mkoeppe