Re: doc snarfing does not work with Sun Forte preprocessor

From: thi
Subject: Re: doc snarfing does not work with Sun Forte preprocessor
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 12:18:08 -0700

   From: Matthias Koeppe <address@hidden>
   Date: 09 May 2001 14:40:24 +0200

   I guess one should replace the preprocessor/awk snarfing method with a
   more robust Scheme implementation.  I see there is a scripts/doc-snarf
   file; shouldn't it be used to build the documentation files?  (There
   is no bootstrapping problem since one can run Guile directly from the
   build directory.)

yeah, i'd rather have some scheme-implemented .c/.scm snarfer than all
this cpp+awk wanking, which saddles us w/ reliance on inconsistent tools
mostly out of our control.  w/ a snarfer written in guile scheme, we
only have one inconsistent tool -- guile.  ;-> i'm sure there was a good
reason to go the awk route, but it has faded from my memory.

if anyone is interested in helping to implement this, here is a simple
task list:

 + document guile-procedures.txt format
 + write scripts/read-scheme-source
 - write scripts/read-c-source
   - analogous to scripts/read-scheme-source
   - only has to handle top-level constructs
   - ok to allow cpp-munged input
 - re-implement scripts/doc-snarf to use read-{scheme,c}-source
 - move .c docstrings into comments
 - modify makefiles to do snarfing post-build
 - zonk the awk scripts

i already did the first two.  would you like to write read-c-source?

thi