Re: doc snarfing does not work with Sun Forte preprocessor

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: doc snarfing does not work with Sun Forte preprocessor
Date: 09 May 2001 23:48:24 +0100

    Michael> Matthias Koeppe <address@hidden>
    Michael> writes:
    >> 2) guile-doc-snarf truncates lines in the preprocessed source
    >> to 1024 characters via cut before feeding it to the AWK script;
    >> therefore the snarfer tags are cut off for long doc strings
    >> like the one below.  The result is garbage in the doc strings.

[...]

    Michael> note that doing The Right Thing with the preprocessor
    Michael> output should not be hard at all.  volonteers?

We discussed this just recently.  As I recall, the issues were:

- how do you know that you are building Guile with enough regex
  support?  (without which writing the tool would be a pain)

- some people suggested that the Right Thing would be for the
  docstrings to become part of libguile (i.e. the library) and then be
  handled correctly from within.

Neil