Re: doc snarfing does not work with Sun Forte preprocessor

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: doc snarfing does not work with Sun Forte preprocessor
Date: 11 May 2001 13:59:46 -0500

Jim Blandy <address@hidden> writes:

> If we're going to throw out CPP, I think we should scrap the whole
> idea of snarfing altogether.  Putting that info in a separate file,
> whose syntax we can choose, would settle the issue permanently.  Not
> that having the info right next to the function definition isn't
> deliciously convenient, but it isn't really C, and we should expect
> to suffer.

Right.  I tend to favor picking a well defined syntax, even though it
will make things a little less integrated.  As a minor help, we might
be able to at least create an emacs function that would let you easily
jump from the function to the docs.

Also (and let me preface this by saying that I don't really know much
about the current doc-snarf system) has there been any discussion
about changing the C code so that the documentation is defined by a C
call that at guile runtime crams all the documentation into a common
location?  It seems like it might be possible to do this so that
dumping the docstrings could then be as simple as

  guile -e \
    '(use-modules (ice-9 docdumper)) (for-each ... (docstring-table))'

or similar.

(Again, I'm not sure this addresses the current problem, since I don't
 fully understand the current state.)