Re: doc snarfing does not work with Sun Forte preprocessor

From: Michael Livshin
Subject: Re: doc snarfing does not work with Sun Forte preprocessor
Date: 10 May 2001 08:54:20 +0300

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

>     moi> note that doing The Right Thing with the preprocessor
>     moi> output should not be hard at all.  volonteers?
>
> We discussed this just recently.  As I recall, the issues were:
>
> - how do you know that you are building Guile with enough regex
>   support?  (without which writing the tool would be a pain)

my memory is failing me again, it seems.  what are regexps needed for?

to extract the docstrings from the source?  CPP does that.

to massage the docstrings?  I think it can be done without regexp
support -- the Texinfo'ish markup that is used in the docstrings is
pretty straightforwardly parseable.  regexps might make the task
slightly easier, though.

looks to me I was being alarmist...

> - some people suggested that the Right Thing would be for the
>   docstrings to become part of libguile (i.e. the library) and then be
>   handled correctly from within.

and those people still think so, let there be no doubt about that.
but fixing the current setup would also be nice if it's not much work,
what with a release getting close.

--
Long computations which yield zero are probably all for naught.