Re: Creating modules from C (was: On the deprecated auto-loading of comp

From: thi
Subject: Re: Creating modules from C (was: On the deprecated auto-loading of compiled-code modules)
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 12:49:15 -0700

   From: Martin Grabmueller <address@hidden>
   Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 15:59:16 +0200

   Can anybody else please jump in and help me out???

i found it helpful to use "fancy obarray" in my head when reading the
module system source.  there are three types of fancy obarrays: the
"public interface", the "directory" and what we call the "module".

constructing a "scheme module" involves adding bindings to the "module"
f.o., adding a subset to the "public interface" f.o., binding the
"public interface" f.o. to the symbol `%module-public-interface' in the
"module" f.o., and then adding the "module" f.o. to the parent
"directory" f.o.

i think it would be no big loss to rename the record-type from `module'
to `fancy-obarray' or whatever, as long as it's not "module"!  this way,
it's obvious (to maintainers) that we're just connecting f.o.s to each
other to implement the published "scheme module" construct.  abstraction
cleanlieness is next to abstraction fordliness...

thi