Re: Some thoughts about documentation

From: Alex Shinn
Subject: Re: Some thoughts about documentation
Date: 17 Apr 2001 23:04:50 -0400

    Ariel> I would prefer to have an outline of examples and then just
    Ariel> start coding them

Here's a simple outline - it needs some work but it's a start.  I
think there would be definite interest in most of these, and we
probably want to put off fine tuning the organization until we have
more of these written, so the real question is what's missing?

Scheme Data Types
  Basic Data Types (booleans, numbers, characters, strings)
  Regular Expressions (emphasize Perl-ish ways to do things)
  Lists (from car/cdr through interesting examples)
  Arrays & Vectors
  Alists & Hashes
  Records & Structures
  Ports
Bindings & Control Flow
  Setting Variables (set!, let[*], scope)
  Basic Control (begin, if, cond, case, while, do)
  Continuations (errors, non-local exits, dynamic wind)
Functions
  Basic function definitions, recursion
  Optional/mutiple arguments
  Lambda expressions, letrec
  Applying, Mapping
  Higher order functions
Guile Extensions
  Scripting w/ Guile (meta-switch, handling arguments, getopt)
  POSIX (filesystem, user info, time, processes, signals)
  Threads (different thread systems)
  Modules (loading/creating modules, dynaload)
Networking
  Network Address Conversions
  Pipes & Sockets
  Simple Internet Clients
  Simple Internet Servers
Embedding in C
  Calling Guile functions from C
  Running an embedded Guile interpretter
Extending Guile with C
  Creating wrappers for C functions/libraries
  Dynamically linked modules
  SWIG
Writing Translators
  Simple regexp parsing
  Lexer/Parser based parsing
  A simple translator (calculator?)
  Meta-Circular Interpreter?
Graphics
  Gtk

--
Alex Shinn <address@hidden>
Lisper, Smalltalker, and all around poor speaker