Re: Some thoughts about documentation

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Some thoughts about documentation
Date: 20 Apr 2001 19:09:28 +0200

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> Please let me know what you all think.

Hmm, I'm unsure.  I think the best thing for the examples would be if
they are in the public domain.  That way, people can freely use them
without having to worry about copyright issues.

When it comes to copyright assignments, they are intended to make sure
that the author who licenses code is in fact legally able to do so.
When it later turns out that a critical piece of code is not in fact
available under the GPL (for example), that would be disaster.

But examples in a cookbook are not critical.  We can remove them one
by one if that should be necessary for legal reasons.  And, the risk
of that happening should be very very low anyway.

This is not the official FSF stance, however.  I'll go and find out.

Anyway, putting too much stress on copyright assignments etc will
likely turn people off, I'm afraid.