Re: Some thoughts about documentation

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Some thoughts about documentation
Date: 13 Apr 2001 10:25:32 +0100

    Ariel> On 12 Apr 2001 15:59:50 +0200, Martin Grabmueller wrote:
    >> Examples are a good way for preventing the manual to be too
    >> dry.  Just post your examples and we'll see if they fit in.
    >> Personally, I would really like to include them.

    Ariel> They are general purposes almost useless hacks to
    Ariel> demonstrate how to use things. I have more in another
    Ariel> computer that's out of my reach at this moment...

These are very nice - thanks.  However, rather than putting them into
the reference manual, I have been wondering about creating a new
document called `Guile Examples' that would be ideal for this kind of
material.  And also lots of other material that I have archived, such
as Dirk's extended explanation of directory listing.

As well as Scheme level examples like Ariel's ones, my idea is that
Guile Examples would also contain extended examples on embedding Guile
into an application.

There are two main motivations for making Guile Examples a separate
document.

- There's a limit to how much example material is right for a
  reference manual, and I don't want to be constrained by that limit.

- Administratively, it may be easier for example code to allow
  individual contributors to retain their own copyrights - i.e. _not_
  assign to the FSF.  GPL/GFDL would still be required.  I don't
  believe that this prevents us from distributing it with Guile.

Comments?

        Neil