Re: Comment style docstrings

From: Keisuke Nishida
Subject: Re: Comment style docstrings
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 20:45:07 -0400

At 07 Apr 2001 02:25:11 +0300,
Michael Livshin wrote:

> >  2. Scheme files are going to use a comment style.
>
> is that a fact?

Is not?  Anyway, I'd prefer a comment style, at least in C.

> >  3. The above style is easier to modify, read, and parse
> >     than the current style.
>
> easier to read/parse by whom?
>
> strings have the nice advantage of not needing to be parsed at all.
> as for comments, we'd need some tool to extract them.

Read by humans and parsed by a snarfer.  The current guile-snarf.awk
looks pretty complex because we are converting C strings to the
original text.

> anyway, you might as well consider writing some sort of C parsing
> library for Guile, and snarf out the docs using it.  it could also
> find other interesting uses, I'm sure.

Probably yes in the long run, but for the moment, the following
script is enough to extract them: