grub-devel

Re: grub-pe2elf

From: Christian Franke
Subject: Re: grub-pe2elf
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 11:33:23 +0200

Robert Millan wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 05:06:46PM +0200, Christian Franke wrote:
> >
> > Since ~r1584, util/grub-* could be build and run on Cygwin. Commit
> > r1726 added support to build kernel and modules on Cygwin.
> >

> There has to be more to it.  I know you were using GRUB on Cygwin
> before that commit.  Was this kludge being used since the beginning?

I'm using GRUB on Cygwin since 'somewhat' before I announced the first
patch 2007-10-16:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2007-10/msg00071.html

This version used the hack in grub's ELF-loader already discussed. It
also contained some non Cygwin related fixes found during testing.

The grub2 package in the Cygwin distro from 2008-03-30 was based on this
private branch merged to 1.96+epsilon.

> What are the other options?

I don't know.

Waiting until someone fixes BFD or maintains a Linux cross-compiler
package for Cygwin (which cannot be build OOTB, it requires build steps
on Linux) may last until time_t wraps around and is IMO not an option
:-)

Even the isolation of grub-pe2elf in a separate package would not help
much, because the linker script and some support in the build system
would be still needed in the grub2 tree.

--
Regards,
Christian Franke