grub-devel

Re: grub-pe2elf

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: grub-pe2elf
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 22:22:15 +0200

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 11:33:23AM +0200, Christian Franke wrote:

> > There has to be more to it.  I know you were using GRUB on Cygwin
> > before that commit.  Was this kludge being used since the beginning?
>
> I'm using GRUB on Cygwin since 'somewhat' before I announced the first
> patch 2007-10-16:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2007-10/msg00071.html
>
> This version used the hack in grub's ELF-loader already discussed. It
> also contained some non Cygwin related fixes found during testing.
>
> The grub2 package in the Cygwin distro from 2008-03-30 was based on this
> private branch merged to 1.96+epsilon.

Understood.

> > What are the other options?
>
> I don't know.
>
> Waiting until someone fixes BFD or maintains a Linux cross-compiler
> package for Cygwin

I don't understand what you mean about a "Linux cross-compiler":

  - Why a compiler?  AFAICT, the problem here is assembly/linkage
    rather than compiling.  binutils should suffice.

  - It's not really "Linux", just generic ELF support (i.e.
    i386-pc-elf rather than i386-pc-linux-gnu).

  - It's not exactly "cross".  I think something like
    --enable-targets=i386-pc-elf when building binutils should
    work just fine.  This produces an "ld" that understands multiple
    formats (-m switch).  Have you tried this?

--
Robert Millan