grub-devel

Re: Next release?

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Next release?
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 18:31:39 -0400

On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 23:04 +0200, Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:

> I am sorry, but can I ask why you want to remove device.map? Did I miss any
> discussion?

There was a short discussion, but I write it more concisely now.

1) We don't want to cache anything.  Any cached information risks to
become stale.

2) We don't want to rely on knowing how BIOS would see the devices at
the boot time.  If GRUB is installed in a way that more than one drive
is involved, it's our responsibility to do it reliably or not at all.

3) We don't want floppies or any unrelated drives to be touched when
they are not involved.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin