grub-devel

Re: Next release?

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Next release?
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 19:21:57 -0400

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 01:15 +0200, Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:

> OK. Then how do you install GRUB into (hd1) in a development machine, which
> is
> (hd0) in a booting machine? When GRUB may not correctly determine BIOS
> drives, do you want to just give up?

The boot drive can be determined at boot.

Granted, there are buggy BIOSes, but we handle it already.  All we need
is to encode into the bootloader that it was installed on a hard drive
(actually, not on a floppy, real or emulated), and the bootloader would
use 0x80 rather than the value from BIOS.

We don't need specific drive numbers like 0x81.  We need one bit of
information, and we can figure it out at the install time.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin