grub-devel

Re: Next release?

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Next release?
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:08:57 -0400

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 07:11 -0700, Colin D Bennett wrote:

> > That's a very advanced setup.  I actually cannot imagine why anyone
> > would use different boot and root drives.  Well, maybe the boot drive
> > has no partitions that GRUB or the host OS can access?
>
> I have used machines that have multiple Linux versions spread across
> two drives, but one common /boot partition so they can all be booted
> from GRUB.  This doesn't seem unusual to me.

As I understand it, there are two cases where we have to hardcode the
drive number.

1) MBR and core.img (embedded or not) are on different drives.

2) core.img and /boot/grub are on different drives.

The second case can be mitigated because core.img can search all
available drives.  We can even tell it whether to search only hard
drives or only floppies.  After switching to lzma, we have some space in
core.img we can use for that logic.

I'm not sure that you are using either of those configurations.  If yes,
I'm not sure you need it, considering that you have Linux partitions on
both drives.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin