grub-devel

Re: Next release?

From: Patrick Georgi
Subject: Re: Next release?
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 17:07:34 +0200

Robert Millan schrieb:
On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 06:55:24PM +0200, Christian Franke wrote:
The first (and last) grub package released in the Cygwin distribution was based on grub codebase from 2008-03-26. My latest reasonably tested merge is ~2 month old. If desired, I can merge & test all remaining changes to current HEAD and post the patches for review soon.

Great!

As for the loader issue, did you find a way to generate images in ELF format
from the Cygwin system?
I do all the time with an i386-elf cross compiler. the easiest way to generate one (in my experience) is to create a directory with symlinks to:
- gcc/*
- binutils/* (ignore duplicates)
- gcc/include/* (into include/, after removing the symlink to gcc/include and creating a directory in its place)
- binutils/include/* (again, ignore duplicates)

then configure --enable-languages=c --disable-bootstrap from that directory of symlinks, and you'll get a full binutils+gcc build (if you want gdb, it should be enough to create symlinks to its files, but I didn't test that)

at least for coreboot, binutils must be of version 2.18.50.* (eg. as found with mingw), gnu's 2.18 isn't enough. no idea if that applies to grub2 or not.

as for the start/_start tests, I merely let configure default to _start if no other symbol was found, which might break grub-emu, but builds the target system grub just fine here. with i386-elf, the target compiler has no crt*.o anyway.

Regards,
Patrick Georgi