grub-devel

Re: Google Summer of Code 2007

From: Jeroen Dekkers
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code 2007
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 11:26:02 +0100

At Tue, 13 Mar 2007 17:44:21 +0100,
Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:

> On Tuesday 13 March 2007 13:38, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > We should come up with a idea list today, because tomorrow Google will
> > begin accepting applications. I think we should just start with
> > http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-soc.html and remove the project
> > I did last summer. I think all the other tasks still need to be
> > done. New ideas are welcome too of course.
>
> I agree. And this needs to be informed to the gnu's list, because what Google
> will see is the GNU's list but not ours.
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/ideas.html

I can't update the website as long as savannah is down... :-(

> > Personally I think one of the important things we have to do is making
> > GRUB2 a suitable replacement for GRUB Legacy. This means implementing
> > all the features from GRUB Legacy that GRUB2 doesn't have yet, making
> > sure that the installer and other tools are all in a good state,
> > etc. It's a bit difficult to make a task out of that, but IMHO it's
> > time that GRUB2 gets ready for production use.
>
> I fully agree, but I am afraid that this kind of task should be done by
> long-term contributors rather than newcomers, and SoC is not very suitable.
>
> The term of SoC is really short. IMO, it is long enough to implement some
> clear, straightforward and visible feature, but not for vague, complicated
> and tiresome work.

I agree, but we could give proposals for implementing features that
work towards this goal a higher priority than those that
don't. E.g. giving CDROM support and the fancy menu interface a higher
priority, because that are two things GRUB Legacy already has (in most
major distributions at least). And certainly without the fancy menu
the major distributions aren't going to switch to GRUB2.

Jeroen Dekkers