grub-devel

Re: Google Summer of Code 2007

From: Jeroen Dekkers
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code 2007
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 13:38:53 +0100

At Mon, 12 Mar 2007 18:45:33 +0100,
Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:

> On Saturday 10 March 2007 22:38, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > Given that nobody answered and I thought about it again, it should be
> > possible for me to be a mentor this year. Is there anyone who could be
> > a backup mentor?
>
> Yeah, it is a good idea for you to be a mentor. Thank you for this proposal.
>
> As I know that a backup mentor has nothing to do in reality, I can do it. It
> is just a title AFAIK.

Well I can always be hit by a bus or anything like that. But I hope it
won't be necessary.

We should come up with a idea list today, because tomorrow Google will
begin accepting applications. I think we should just start with
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-soc.html and remove the project
I did last summer. I think all the other tasks still need to be
done. New ideas are welcome too of course.

Personally I think one of the important things we have to do is making
GRUB2 a suitable replacement for GRUB Legacy. This means implementing
all the features from GRUB Legacy that GRUB2 doesn't have yet, making
sure that the installer and other tools are all in a good state,
etc. It's a bit difficult to make a task out of that, but IMHO it's
time that GRUB2 gets ready for production use.

Jeroen Dekkers